Monday, June 6, 2011

Book Review: Angels & Demons

I love to read, I truly do! This is so weird for me to admit about myself because I hated reading when I was younger. I found it hard to focus and couldn't get past the mental blockage of "I have HOW MANY pages to read?!" I hardly ever read for pleasure, and hardly ever finished reading the required books in school for projects. (Don't tell my mom!) Don't worry, I still got good grades. (Somehow!)

But when I was in college and flew back and forth between Utah to Oregon often, I was so bored on the airplane rides. I decided I would be like one of the other cool passengers with their thick books that they seemed so involved in, I would get a book! ... But which one?

Stephanie, my lovely sister, suggested that I read the Twilight series. She had read them and said it was an entertaining, easy read. That is all I was look for. I still had this mental blockage of innumerable page numbers and words that I wouldn't understand. But she said it was good and easy...

The other reason I hesitated on reading Twilight was because there was this weird, huge craze around it. I wasn't one who read for fun, and even I knew about this weird craze. But, I jumped in and bought the book. And I couldn't put it down. Love it! (I know I know, judge all you want.) But since then, I just can't stop reading! Mysteries, love stories, old literature, folk tales, the classics, mythical junk, fantasy, end of the world, sci-fy, I pretty much love it all. (Well except the mythical junk.) I am now one who reads for pleasure, go me!

Anyway- this past month-ish I have been reading Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. Dan Brown is the guy who wrote The DaVinci Code and created this huge phenomenon with his religious mystery thriller books. A&D was actually written first, but doesn't have any affect or connect with TDC, just the same character, doing the same kind of exciting things.

A&D is a great book about murder, religion, secret ancient underground groups, science, hidden messages, and deception. It is a fully packed book with anxious anticipation, wondering what will happen next, and then throws you for a loop, several times. From start to finish it was captivating and exciting! Here is a small synopsis of the book according to goodreads.com:


When world-renowned Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned to a Swiss research facility to analyze a mysterious symbol -- seared into the chest of a murdered physicist -- he discovers evidence of the unimaginable: the resurgence of an ancient secret brotherhood known as the Illuminati...the most powerful underground organization ever to walk the earth. The Illuminati has now surfaced to carry out the final phase of its legendary vendetta against its most hated enemy -- the Catholic Church. 

Langdon's worst fears are confirmed on the eve of the Vatican's holy conclave, when a messenger of the Illuminati announces they have hidden an unstoppable time bomb at the very heart of Vatican City. With the countdown under way, Langdon jets to Rome to join forces with Vittoria Vetra, a beautiful and mysterious Italian scientist, to assist the Vatican in a desperate bid for survival. 

Embarking on a frantic hunt through sealed crypts, dangerous catacombs, deserted cathedrals, and even the most secretive vault on earth, Langdon and Vetra follow a 400-year-old trail of ancient symbols that snakes across Rome toward the long-forgotten Illuminati lair...a clandestine location that contains the only hope for Vatican salvation. 




See- doesn't it sound exciting?! It was. I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars. It had everything I wanted, but was a bit gruesome. That, and there was some sexual adultness to it. There were no details or gross yuck stuff, just alluding to it. With those things taken into consideration, I still would recommend this book! It was a quick, fairly easy read, and I couldn't stop reading until I finished! Go to your local thrift store and find a copy, its where I got mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment