Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gnocchi Night! quickest, easiest, yummiest dinner.

I saw gnocchi on sale at the store, so I impulsively put it in my cart (the normal not the tri-color but I bet it is yummy too) and didn't think about it for a week or so. I figured Brian would cook it one night, we've always wanted to try it, and he is a great cook.

But last night it was talking to me! I have these little food visions, like on Sesame Street when the apples and cheese cake, and what not start talking. So the gnocchi kept telling me I needed to cook Brian a nice dinner.
After an hour or so, I found a recipe I liked and had the ingredients for. A few hours later Brian came home, and when I told him about my plans he said, oh yea that is a classic preparation of gnocchi, yum! grr, how did he know that butter and sage are the classic preparation!! It took me forever to figure that out!

Anyways. I took my fave parts from two recipes and combined them.
It is very simple:

1 package gnocchi (or you could make it, but I don't have that time with a toddler)
1/4 Cup Butter
1 tsp Chopped Garlic
2 tbs Fresh Sage (chiffonade or cut into skinny strips)
Salt & Pepper to taste - but I actually didn't need it
Parmesan 

1. Prepare Gnocchi according to package - boil for 2-3 minutes or until it floats! Drain.
2. Melt butter over medium, add garlic and let cook for a min or so till it starts to liiiiiightly brown.
3. Add sage and cook for another minute. Somehow during this process I browned the butter and did not burn it. I do not claim to know how to do this or how to instruct anyone how to, but that is what happened. Yum!
4. Pour over gnocchi, mix it around till coated, and serve hot with some Parmesan on top!!

EASY DINNER! It took me longer to make the salad and heat up the corn than it did to make the gnocchi and sauce. However I cannot cook like Rachel Ray yet, multi tasking is really hard for me. So it still took me 40 minutes to prepare each individual item before I was ready to sit down and eat.

I fully suggest you all try it out. If butter and sage aren't your cup of tea, pop open a jar of Prego and pour that over this potato pasta! Just as yummy, but don't forget the parmesan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment